Sunday, March 19, 2017

Electricity


I purposely spent the start of 2017 floating safely inside a tranquil, denial-filled bubble. After the emotional beating in November (YOU know what I'm talking about), I did my best to enjoy the present before the future arrived to poop on us all. (ARGHH!) My eager ears rolled casually through the new year by sucking some Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark into The Bubble. There is so much excellent music that I didn't give a proper going over when I first found it! For example: OMD. Earnest and warm, yet distant. Lovely. A song like "Electricity" expresses its sentiment in pretty much the exact fashion that I try for in my art. It makes the band's admiration for Kraftwerk super obvious, but it's injected with a sweetness and a humanity that belongs entirely to them. It's not lazy mimicry or blathering worship. It's acknowledgment, and building. Also, general OMD thing: I adore Andy McCluskey's ridiculous dancing, which is apparently infamous within the OMD fan community. It's the nerdy, jerky cousin to Dave Gahan's seductive flailing. A+

Here is an OMD quickdraw.

"All we need to live today.
A gift for man to throw away."



No comments:

Post a Comment